Sekolah.org

Go Back   Sekolah.org Ruang Kelas Bahasa Inggris

Reply silakan bergabung untuk ikut diskusi :-)

Old 8 December 2011, 05:19 PM   #1
cacaecheen

Bergabung: Dec 2011
cacaecheen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to cacaecheen
Thumbs up Read the Story and Answer The Questions;)

An Honest Woodsman and His Axe
There was once an honest Woodsman who lived with his famil in a forest. He worked hard, cutting down trees so he could sell the firewood. This ih how he supported his family. All day long you could hear the sound of his faithful axe ringing through the woods.
One day he was cutting down tres near the edge of a deep pool of water in the forest. With strong, steady strokes he chopped away until it grew quite late in the day. The woodsman was tired, for he had been working since early morning and his strokes were not as strong and steady as they had been. He raised his tired arms high for a final blow and his axe slipped, flew out of his hands and landed with a ‘plonk’ into the pool, sinking to the bottom.
The woodsman cried out, “No! All is lost!” as he stood, wringing his hands, pulling his hair and weeping, the god Mercury suddenly appeared.
“What is wrong Woodsman?” asked the god. The Woodsman wept, “My axe fell into teh water! It is too deep and i cannot get it back! My axe is all i have to male a living with, and i don’t have enough money to buy a new one. My family will have nothing to eat.”
Hearing this, Mercury dove with a splash down to the bottom of the pool. When he surfaced he held in his hand an axe that glinted in the setting sun, for this axe was made of pure gold! Mercury held up the golden axe and asked, “Is this your axe, Woodsman?”
The woodsman’s mouth fell open and his eyes grew large with desire as he looked at the golden axe, but he shook his head. “No. That is not my axe.”
Mercury dove again with a splash down to the bottom of the pool. This time when he surfaced he held in his hand an axe that sparkled like the silvery drops of water falling from it, for it was made of pure silver!
“Is this your axe, Woodsman?” asked Mercury. The honest Woodsman gazed with amazement at the beautiful silver axe, but again shook his head and said, “No. That is not my axe. My axe is just an ordinary old axe with a plain wooden handle.”
Mercury dove down for the third time with a splash, and when he surfaced he held in his hand the Woodsman ‘s battered old axe. “Is this your axe, Woodsman?” he asked.
The Woodsman was so glad his axe had been found! He cried out, “That’s my axe!” He eagerly took the axe and thanked the kind god again and again. Mercury looked at the Woodman and smiled. “I admire your honesty, Woodsman. And it shall be rewarded. You may keep all three axes, the gold and the silver as well as your own.” And then Mercury disappeared as suddenly as he had come.
The Woodsman gathered the three axes in his arms and hurried home where he was met by his wife. She was so happy when she saw the gold and silver axes, she cried out, “Husband! We’ll never be hungry again!”
Adapted from http://www.lkpstoryteller.com

1. What is the aim of the text above?a. To entertain the readersb. To retell the honest woodsman’s experiencec. To tell the reader how to make somethingd. To describe the story

2. What can we learn from the text above?a. Honesty brings happinessb. Honesty brings poornessc. Honesty brings amusementd. Honesty brings painfulness

3. Who is Mercury?a. Witchb. Mother fairyc. Woodsman wifed. God

4. Why did Mercury give the Woodsman 3 axes?a. Because she wantedb. Because the Woodsman had help the Mercuryc. Because the Woodsman had been honest to Mercuryd. Because the Mercury loved him

5. ‘An Honest Woodsman and His Axe’ The underlined word is one kind of....a. Kitchen setb. Stationeryc. Parfumed. Tools

Good Luck
Reply silakan bergabung untuk ikut diskusi :-)